Trainz Plus is the latest version of Trainz and is available through Trainz Plus and Gold Class memberships (and now also through the Steam Store). Trainz Plus build is updated regularly with new features and content. Many of these features (or probably most of them) will end up being included in future versions of Trainz.
Trainz Plus Update 1
Our first Trainz Plus update includes:
- a range of new camera options for both Driver and Surveyor
- a new menubar in Surveyor
- a new Session Logging window
We’re also including the following in-development systems:
- Console Controller support (Windows only)
- Trainz Package uploader (for Content Creator in-game submissions)
We’ve redesigned the Trainz Camera System to unify the controls (and code) between Driver and Surveyor, and also expanded the functionality with several new camera modes.
The Camera Menu from Driver has been expanded and is now also available in Surveyor, providing similar functionality in both modules. The options are:
To bind these new options to your key of choice, go to System Menu > Settings > Control Settings and scroll down 2/3rds to the Camera settings. Note that if you are used to using the "Ctrl" Field of View Modifier key, you will need to bind this in Control Settings as well.
Camera swaps include a new “smoothed transition” where possible, avoiding sudden snaps from location to location. This includes a new new zoom option when focused on your loco. You can now smoothly zoom in from Chase mode to Cab mode and vice versa. You need to apply sufficient mousewheel “pressure” to move through the walls. i.e . scrolling slowly will not change your view, while scrolling faster will do so.
We’re also working on pre-loading of objects when the camera changes to make those transitions less jarring (not yet complete).
For additional help using each of the camera modes, see Help: Driver Menu Camera.
Trainz Plus updates the Surveyor Menubar to match the visual style of the TRS19 Driver menubar and provide access to several new features. This provides greater consistency across the modules and provides easy access for the new camera modes.
For details visit Help:TRS19_Main_Menu
For details visit Help:Surveyor_MenuEdit
For details visit Help:Surveyor_MenuTools
For details visit Help:Surveyor_MenuDisplay
For details visit Help:Surveyor_MenuCamera
For details visit Help:Surveyor_MenuSocial
For details visit Help:Surveyor_MenuWindow
For details visit Help:Surveyor_MenuHelp Help for each of the new menu options is provided using the ingame '?' help tool.
Other Tweaks, Tips & Changes
Surveyor Menu changes mean the items have moved around into more logical groupings:
- Quickdrive icon has moved one to the right under "Tools Menu"
- Edit Sessions icon moved one left under "Edit Menu"
- Edit Route, Environment and Effect Layers all appear under "Edit Menu"
- Filter icon (Search, Picklists and bookmarks) now found under Display Menu > Show Search Filter
- Toggle Wireframe now under "Display Menu"
- Undo/Redo are found under Edit Menu
- A range of tools have moved from Main Menu to "Tools Menu"
Other tweaks include:
- Mouseover Help Tooltips moved from driving controls to info labels
- Console Controller Support (Trainz Settings > Enable Game Controller Support)
- TCCP Uploader (First part of updates to assist content creators in automating the processing of DLC items)
Trainz Plus Update 2
This Trainz Plus update focuses on the "Unified Driver Surveyor" feature which allows you to switch back and forward between Driver Mode and Surveyor (Editor) Mode instantly.
Unified Driver Surveyor (UDS) replaces the concept of "Quickdrive" and greatly expands upon the capabilities previously provided. When you switch mode, the User Interface changes to the appropriate Driver or Surveyor UI and functionality changes accordingly.
Due to the change in "workflow" the old "Save Game" concept is now replaced by the more robust and flexible "Save Sessions" option.
Trainz Plus Update 3
The third Trainz Plus update focuses on the management your DLC packages with a new "Content Store" downloader that replaces the in-game Asset Downloader UI.
You can now browse all DLC items and choose which items you want to install, uninstall, purchase or update. The current implementation uses the "multi-part" packages but also supports a new "one-part" download that will eliminate the "partial install" problems.
Content Store Downloader
- View all available DLC items
- View current status (Installed, Owned but not installed, Available to purchase)
- View details of DLC packages including description, build version, ID (SKU/Resource ID)
- Filter by Owned or Update Available
- Purchase new DLC from Trainz Store
- Install and uninstall DLC packages
- Search DLC lists
NOTE: If you exit with incomplete tasks, they will restart when you next start Trainz.
Trainz Plus Update 4
New Effect Layer Tools
Here's a summary of the new tools and functionality:
- Bulk Paint ground textures under a spline (e.g. add ballast under a track throughout the whole route or section of the route)
- Bulk Add effect layers to existing ground textures (e.g. add turffx or clutter to a specific ground texture)
- Choose from a range of presets to quickly create new effect layers for your current route
- Turffx presets are named "tfxp - xxx" and clutter presets named "cltp - xxx"
- Create and Edit custom preset effect layer assets (and share your assets via the DLS or .cdp)
- View effect layer configuration changes in a new preview window
- Set up "masks" to prevent effect layers from appearing under water, on a slope or above/below a certain height
- Mask effects to only appear on specific textures
- Use the Get Effects tool to find out which layers are present in an area
Go here for more information: New Effect Layer Tools
New Bulk Paint Under Spline Tool
In addition to the effect layer bulk update tools above, there's also a new bulk paint tool that will save you hours of manually painting.
For example, to paint ballast under a specific track, select the track spline, select the ballast texture to be painted, select your radius, select the area to apply the change to, click Begin!
Trainz Plus Update 5
Our latest Trainz Plus update introduces “Early Access” to the latest major Trainz feature - Multiplayer Surveyor. This update delivers Stage 1 of a multi-stage implementation that will ultimately change the way many Trainz routes and sessions are created and operated.
This Early Access feature will be available to all our Trainz Plus and Gold Class members.
Additionally, this update introduces further support for the new Trainz Content Creator Program (TCCP) system for packaging and releasing new DLC packs through the Trainz Store. This includes support for installing DLC packs via the 'tzarc' file format, leading to improved DLC submission, installation, and removal abilities in Trainz.
The build number for this release has increased to TrainzBuild 4.7; as such any content generated or edited within this release (i.e. routes, sessions, consists, etc) will not be compatible with TRS19 SP1 or TRS19 Platinum. The next update for TRS19 and TRS19 Platinum will allow 4.7 content to be used in these editions. TrainzBuild 4.7 content is not yet supported by the DLS at the time of writing.
In short, MPS is “Trainz in the cloud” where you can build, edit, drive and collaborate with people from around the world in a persistent multiplayer environment.
Instead of editing and driving alone on routes that reside on your hard drive (and uploading to the Download Station to share with others), MPS routes reside on our servers and are accessible to everyone*. With the Unified Driver Surveyor feature, players can switch modes instantly to drive and operate trains throughout each route, and jump back into Surveyor (Editor) mode to tweak or extend the world*.
MPS routes are persistent and will constantly expand and evolve. While you are driving, others can be editing, or vice versa.
Come back tomorrow, check out the edits your fellow route creators have made while you’ve been gone, then continue expanding the network or operating from where you left off.
- subject to user configured permissions
Trainz Content Creator Program
The Trainz Content Creator Program introduces a new set of tools for creating, testing, and releasing new DLC packs for Trainz.
To get started with TCCP please go to the [Content Creator Program website].
For further information on TCCP, please see Trainz Content Creator Program.
Trainz Plus Update 6
Our latest Trainz Plus update delivers further updates to MPS along with the backend support required for our first content expansion.
The build number for this release has increased to TrainzBuild 4.8; as such any content generated or edited within this release (i.e. routes, sessions, consists, etc) will not be compatible with TRS19 SP2 or TRS19 Platinum.
Multiplayer Surveyor Content Expansion
The first expansion provides the Sebino route along with, of course, all the European content that is included. Ownership of the Sebino route is required for this feature to be available.
Trainz Plus Update 7
Our latest Trainz Plus Update includes support for a new Water Effects layer. Once complete, this system will eventually replace the old Water system and tools.
The build number for this release has increased to TrainzBuild 4.9; as such any content generated or edited within this release (i.e. routes, sessions, consists, etc) will not be compatible with TRS19 SP2 or TRS19 Platinum.
Water Effect Layer
Note that the initial implementation of the Water Effect layer is workable, but the tools are not yet complete.
Water Effect layer is created much the same as Turffx or Clutter layers. There is also an option to update Legacy Water to the new Water Effect.
The old Water tools will continue to work, but once you have converted your water to the new Effect layer, you should not use the old water system any more.
Once you have created a Water Effect layer, use the Topology tools just as you would for painting TurfFX.
Choose which type of water effect you wish to use in by changing the Water Asset in the Advanced settings.
The best way to paint the Water Effect at a certain height is to use the Set Height tool.
TIP: Paint slightly beyond the waters edge (where it meets the ground) so that the water surface is flat.
Future updates will improve these tools even further allowing for rivers and streams and much more.
See ALSO: Water_Effect_Layer
Trainz Plus Update 8
With several months of feedback and support from our Trainz Plus testers, this update sees the "Phase 1" release of [| Surveyor 2.0]. To get detailed help with the new Surveyor tools, please check out our | S20 online guide.
Several of the upcoming TRS22 routes were also made available to Trainz Plus members during this period.
Trainz Plus Update 9
This Trainz Plus update coincided with the official release of TRS22. Along with a number of bug fixes, it delivered a huge range of MPS updates with a focus on stability and usability. The final of the 5 new TRS22 routes, "Schwaninger Land", was also released to all Trainz Plus members.
Trainz Plus Update 10
This update focusses on providing support for user-created Content Packages to be used in Multiplayer Surveyor, meaning that users can now access all their favourite content.
- New .tzarc compression to reduce file size on disk and increase performance for slower disk drives
- Format update to Trainz Build 5.2
- XAudio2 replaces OpenAL for Windows builds improving 3D sounds (and also resolving a long-standing crash on some hardware when locos reached 60mph).
- Updates to DX11 (in readiness for the upcoming DX12 update)
This update also coincides with TRS22 Service Pack 1 update to ensure compatibility across builds.
Trainz Plus Update 11
This update has a number of HUGE new features.
High Detail Terrain
Yes folks, the time has finally arrived when you can manipulate terrain without being limited to a 10m or 5m grid.
The new HD Terrain option will be part of our next massive Trainz Plus update which will go into external testing Dec 2022 and be released early 2023 to all Trainz Plus members.
Find out more information here: https://info.trainzsimulator.com/trainz-plus
Trainz Living Ralroad
Dynamically Created & Automated Operations!
Living Railroad is a totally new, automated approach to running your railroad.
Load up any route, and the Living Railroad Dispatch systems will dynamically query all available Industries, Passenger Stations, Train Vehicles and Drivers to create a list of potential Tasks.
Tasks are then prioritized based upon which Industries require goods, which Locomotives and Rolling Stock are suitable and then AI Commands are automatically created and issued to each available Driver.
The player can manage the Tasks and Drivers or choose to drive any train at any time.
TLR is also fully supported in multiplayer and MPS sessions.
Find out more on our [Trainz Plus Landing Page: https://info.trainzsimulator.com/trainz-plus] And our [Trainz Docs page: https://docs.trainzsimulator.com/docs/trainz-living-railroad]
The new Operations UI is a major unification and upgrade from the “Properties” and “View Details” dialogs. It includes:
- Driver Control Center - updated user interface providing access to new dialogs (and now also available in S20).
- Driver Details - view detailed information on the Driver, Train, current Commands, a Location map and more
- Industry Details - a completely restyled UI shows current commodity levels and processes, and can now be edited in Driver mode
- Train Details - view Train details including any allocated driver, track priority, consist weight and length and current dispatch status
- View AI Train Path - when selected, the current planned path for any AI loco show in the 3D world and mini-map
- Focus Camera on Object - we’ve made it easy to jump immediately to any relevant object (Driver, Loco, Industry, Junction etc) from any of the Operations Dialogs.
- Activities List - each of the new UIs shows a list of all activity that's related to the currently viewed item, and provides options to pause, cancel or show any activity.
This is an entirely new purpose-built logging system providing detailed information about every aspect of your railroad operations. It includes:
- Detailed logs - Player-readable information, avoiding the inclusion of unreadable or spammy debug output
- World Object Search - New log list UIs which allow searching the log text or metadata, filtering by status, to particular world objects, etc.
- Metadata tags- Each log has support for custom 'metadata' tagging, allowing a log message to reference multiple world objects (trains, industries, etc), players, assets, simple keywords, etc
- Context menus - UI context menus driven by the log metadata (e.g. right-click a log to open a player chat, view a relevant object, etc).
- Full localisation support - including over MPS, where the player can search server-stored logs in their native language
- Script UI - A brand new script UI to add activity logs, including the ability to define custom metadata objects
GPU Clutter Effect Layers
We've reworked the Clutter Effects onto the GPU for improved performance and smoother fade-in/out
Trainz plus members also get early access to future Trainz Retail content. Including:
- HST 125 (Major Rebuild) - Gold Only
- Tornado - TP and Gold
- The Blue Comet (Major rebuild) - Gold Only
- Amtrak Superliners - Gold Only
Patching Trainz Retail to Trainz Plus
For information on Patching TRS19 go to the Patching TRS19 wiki page.
From the release of TRS22, we have split Trainz Plus and Trainz "Retail" builds into their own separate branches. This means that while Trainz Plus owners have access to TANE, TRS19, and TRS22, to access the Trainz Plus features, you must install the latest Trainz plus build (found by logging in to your MyTrainz account).
Go back to: TRS19 Help Page
Go back to: TRS22 Help Page