Distance from Peterborough: 35½ kms, 22 miles
Manned Station on the Peterborough-Quorn Line . Orroroo was the last attended station on the line. The station staff were withdrawn in August 1981.
Station, crossing and goods/grain loops. Stockyard and loco servicing sidings, and a turning WYE.
Orroroo was originally the terminus of the line from Peterborough, hence the presence of the turning WYE. The line was extended to Quorn in 1882.
The WYE was actually removed in the 1930s, a move that was regretted in later years when an increasing number of trains from Peterborough were terminated at Ororroo and had to return tender first. The WYE is retained in this layout for operational and historical reasons.
Some of the station buildings on the line, such as here at Orroroo, were built in a far "grander style" than was needed as it was hoped that the line would attract many settlers and industries to the region. This hope was never fulfilled. Passenger services ended in 1969.
The line was closed to normal traffic in 1988 and was fully closed in 2002. Most of the track was removed in 2008.
Today the station building at Orroroo is now a private residence, the goods shed has been removed but the grain silos are still present. Additional grain storage has been added where the goods shed once stood. The Train Order signal at the station has been removed and is being restored for use on a preserved railway, the Steam Ranger Heritage Railway at Victor Harbour.