Trainz: A New Era
"Trainz: A New Era" is the first "totally new" version of Trainz since the first release in 2001. It includes a brand new game engine that totally replaces the "Jet" render engine which powered Trainz between 2001 and 2012. Most of the game code from previous versions of Trainz has been ported across piece by piece to integrate with the new engine and refactored to support multi-threading.
This means that while the game will look and feel familiar to existing Trainz users, in many cases it will perform better.
- Per-pixel lighting (previously vertex lit in Jet)
- Shader-based rendering (improved quality of lighting, normal maps, etc)
- 64-bit support (ability to efficiently utilize larger quantities or RAM, and improved CPU performance)
- Pervasive multi-threading (smooth operation of multiple tasks simultaneously, including background streaming)
- Procedural junction rendering (create animated junctions with a couple of mouse clicks)
- Train vehicle motion simulation (track condition support, etc)
- Superelevated track
- Multiple window support
- Realtime shadow-casting from all objects (including track, buildings, trees, terrain, etc)
- Physx support for pfx collision simulation
- "Test Track" real-time train physics analysis and tuning tools
Future updates will also include Track Blocks and Interlocking Towers for more prototypical signalling.
For more information on these features see: T:ANE_NEW_FEATURES
- Kickstarter County (Ficticious)
- ECML Kings Cross - Edinburgh (UK)
- Healesville (Australia)
- C&O Hinton Division (USA)
- Avery-Drexel (USA)
- Season Town (USA/fiction)
- Warwick-Wallangara (Australia)
- Bidye Traction (Model railroad)
T:ANE Release History
Following are links to the various major builds released prior to the "official" release of T:ANE on May 15, 2015:
- TANE_Developer_Release_Build - April 2014
- T:ANE "Community Edition" V1.0 - December 2014
- T:ANE "Community Edition" V1.1 - January 2015
- T:ANE "Community Edition" V1.2 - April 2015
- T:ANE "Release Version" - May 2015
The release version of T:ANE still has one feature remaining to complete our original Kickstarter project goals - the Track Blocks and Interlocking Tower feature. We are working on this feature and a range of other updates that we will release via a free update later in the year (exact timing to follow).
T:ANE has a number of hard minimum requirements which sets it apart from Jet-based games in terms of the supported hardware. These include:
- The OS must be 64-bit.
- The GPU must support DirectX 11 (Windows) or OpenGL 3.3 (Mac OS X.)
PC: Minimum: OS: Windows 7 64bit, Windows 8 64bit CPU: Intel i-series, AMD K10 or higher with at least 2Ghz Dual Core GPU: NVidia GT 430 or ATI 5550 or better, at least 1GB dedicated VRAM supporting DirectX 11 Memory: 4GB Hard Disk: 30GB free space Soundcard: DirectX-compatible Internet connection required
Recommended: OS: Windows 7 64bit, Windows 8 64bit CPU: Intel i5 3330, AMD FX 8350, QuadCore 2,3 Ghz or better GPU: NVidia GTX 660 or AMD HD 6950 or better, at least 2GB dedicated VRAM supporting DirectX11 Memory: 8GB Hard Disc: 30GB free space Soundcard: DirectX-compatible Internet connection required