SAR Peterborough-Terowie

From TrainzOnline
Jump to: navigation, search

Peterborough-Terowie Line Location Index Scenarios


Junction for Broken Hill LineQuorn Line




Terminus Junction for Broad Gauge



Coal Loco Coal Stage Fuel Bunker C Oil Fuel Point
Loop Crossing Loop WYE Turning Triangle or WYE
Turntable Loco Turntable Shed Loco Shed
Water Loco Water Tank  
Passengers Passengers (station is industry active) Passengers Pasengers (station is NOT industry active)
Goods Goods Grain Grain
Oils_Fuels Oil and Fuel Stockyard Livestock (Cattle and Sheep)
Minerals Minerals Wool Wool Bales
Line History:
 Opened:   1881
 Closed:   1988
 Length:   33km - 20½mi
The broad gauge (5ft3in - 1600mm) line from Adelaide (the state capital) to Terowie was built in stages from 1869 to 1880. The narrow gauge (3ft6in - 1067mm) extension to Peterborough was completed in 1881. Terowie then became a major break-of-gauge location for freight and passenger traffic between Adelaide and the Transcontinental Railway (to Sydney and Perth) and the Central Australia Railway (to Port Augusta and Alice Springs).

After the conversion of the Port Pirie-Broken Hill Line to standard gauge (4ft8½in - 1435mm) during 1969-1970 the Peterborough-Terowie narrow gauge line was converted to dual gauge in 1970 with the addition of a broad gauge track. All break-of-gauge operations then moved to Peterborough.

The line from Adelaide to Peterborough, with its dual gauge section from Terowie to Peterborough, was closed in 1988.

Personal tools