SAR Peterborough-Quorn

From TrainzOnline
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
m
Line 190: Line 190:
 
When the '''Transcontinental Railway''' from '''Port Augusta''' to '''Kalgoolie''' was completed in 1917, the '''Peterborough-Quorn''' line became the route for all transcontinental rail traffic until 1932 when a more direct line to '''Port Augusta''' was completed. The line continued to see traffic for the '''Commonwealth Railways''' northern line until 1950 when a new route from '''Port Augusta''' to '''Maree''' was constructed which bypassed '''Quorn'''. Traffic on the '''Peterborough-Quorn''' line declined significantly afterwards.<br>
 
When the '''Transcontinental Railway''' from '''Port Augusta''' to '''Kalgoolie''' was completed in 1917, the '''Peterborough-Quorn''' line became the route for all transcontinental rail traffic until 1932 when a more direct line to '''Port Augusta''' was completed. The line continued to see traffic for the '''Commonwealth Railways''' northern line until 1950 when a new route from '''Port Augusta''' to '''Maree''' was constructed which bypassed '''Quorn'''. Traffic on the '''Peterborough-Quorn''' line declined significantly afterwards.<br>
  
The line form '''Port Pirie''' to '''Broken Hill''' was converted to standard gauge (4'8" - 1435mm) in 1969 which isolated the '''Peterborough-Quorn''' line from the rest of the narrow gauge network.<br>
+
The line from '''Port Pirie''' to '''Broken Hill''' was converted to standard gauge (4'8" - 1435mm) in 1969 which isolated the '''Peterborough-Quorn''' line from the rest of the narrow gauge network.<br>
  
 
The line from '''Eurelia''' to '''Quorn''' was closed in 1987 followed by the closure of the line from '''Peterborough''' to '''Eurelia''' in 1988.
 
The line from '''Eurelia''' to '''Quorn''' was closed in 1987 followed by the closure of the line from '''Peterborough''' to '''Eurelia''' in 1988.

Revision as of 11:07, 3 December 2020

Peterborough-Quorn Line Location Index

Peterborough

Junction for Broken Hill LineTerowie Line

CoalWaterShedTurntableLoopPassengersGoodsGrainLivestock
Minvalara
LoopPassengers
Black Rock
LoopPassengersGoodsLivestock
Orroroo
CoalWaterLoopWYEPassengersGoodsGrainLivestock
Wallaway
LoopGoods
Halls Well
Water
Eurelia
WaterLoopPassengersGoodsLivestock
Carrieton
CoalWaterLoopPassengersGoodsLivestock
Moockra
LoopPassengersGoodsLivestock
Hammond
WaterLoopPassengersGoods
Bruce
LoopPassengersGoodsLivestock
Kingswood
LoopGoods
Quorn

Junction for Hawker Line

CoalWaterShedTurntableLoopPassengersOils_FuelsGoodsGrain

Symbols:
Coal Loco Coal Stage Fuel Loco Diesel Fuel Point
Water Loco Water Tank Passengers Passenger Stop
Shed Loco Shed Turntable Loco Turntable
Goods Goods Facility Grain Grain Storage or Processing
Stockyard Stockyard Oils_Fuels Oil and Fuel Terminal
Loop Passing Loop WYE Turning Triangle or WYE

Line History:

Opened:  1881-1882
Closed:  1987-1988

Built as a narrow gauge (3' 6" - 1067mm) line from Peterborough to Orroroo in 1881, it was extended to Quorn in 1882 where it joined the Commonwealth Railways main northern narrow gauge line from Port Augusta to Maree.

When the Transcontinental Railway from Port Augusta to Kalgoolie was completed in 1917, the Peterborough-Quorn line became the route for all transcontinental rail traffic until 1932 when a more direct line to Port Augusta was completed. The line continued to see traffic for the Commonwealth Railways northern line until 1950 when a new route from Port Augusta to Maree was constructed which bypassed Quorn. Traffic on the Peterborough-Quorn line declined significantly afterwards.

The line from Port Pirie to Broken Hill was converted to standard gauge (4'8" - 1435mm) in 1969 which isolated the Peterborough-Quorn line from the rest of the narrow gauge network.

The line from Eurelia to Quorn was closed in 1987 followed by the closure of the line from Peterborough to Eurelia in 1988.

Personal tools