TS12 is the current major version of N3V's Trainz Simulator product line. It is a full product with all new features, routes, locos and multiplayer experience.
Amongst a variety of other improvements, TS12 features the following major items:
- Satellite View - The free-roaming camera can now be seamlessly zoomed beyond the traditional ~300m viewing distance, all the way up to the ~10km range previously only afforded by the separate map view.
- Trainz Multiplayer - TS12 is the first retail version of Trainz to support online multiplayer. (It's also the first train simulator to do so.) Assorted multiplayer sessions will be available in the box, and regular updates with additional multiplayer gameplay experiences are made freely available via the Download Station.
- Doppler - We've undertaken an overhaul of the sound system for TS12 and taken the opportunity to include doppler calculations for added realism.
- Mojave Sub Division - A prototypical US freight route set in the 1990s, including a selection of ATSF and SP diesels such as the GP60M, B40-8W, SD40T and SD45. Over sixty miles of challenging driving through the Californian desert.
- ECML Kings Cross - Newcastle - An improved and extended version of the prototypical British route you know and love from TS2010, set in the 1970s 'blue diesel' era.
- Balezino - Mosti - An incredibly detailed fictional route set in the Russia's modern era. This route features electric locomotives and provides an excellent in-cab driving experience.
- Southern China - Set in China's modern era, this fictional but stunningly realistic route features diesel locomotives such as the DF7C, ND5, DF11, and DF11G.
- Municipal transit railway - A fictional North American city with streetcars and an elevated commuter railroad.
- Norfolk & Western - Appalachian Coal - A late 1950s route with long coal trains and articulated steam locos and featuring a true icon of North American steam - the N&W Y6b 2-8-8-2.
- Debrecen - Nyiredyhaza - A prototypical Hungarian route set in the modern era. This route features both electric and diesel locomotives and provides an excellent in-cab driving experience.
- Northeast Corridor - Wilmington To Philadelphia - Thirty miles of route through dense urban landscape on the premier U.S. passenger mainline, Amtrak's North East Corridor. Set in the modern era.
- New and Improved SpeedTree content.
- New high-quality locos, stock, and cabs, including:
- North American - N&W Y6B 2-8-8-2, EMD SD45 (ATSF and SP livery), GE C30-7 (ATSF livery), EMD GP60M and GP60B (ATSF livery), EMD SD40T-2 (SP livery), GE B40-8W (ATSF livery)
- Hungarian - MAV M41, MAV M44, MAV V43, MAV V63
- Chinese - DF7C
- Russian - TBD.
- .. and many more.
- New industrial buildings, including a large hydroelectric dam.
- Downtown buildings.
- Timber-framed buildings.
- Windows XP (with Service Pack 3)
- 2GB RAM
- Pentium D 3.4GHz (or equivalent)
- nVidia GeForce 7200 / 128MB (or equivalent)
- 15GB free hard drive space
Under this configuration, it is expected that the game will successfully run all included routes. Frame rate will vary substantially and will be considered poor (barely playable) in the most dense areas. It is expected that the user will lower the screen resolution, draw distance, and other quality options.
- Windows Vista / Windows 7 (64 bit)
- 2GB RAM
- Core 2 Duo (or equivalent)
- nVidia GeForce 8600 (or equivalent)
- 15GB free hard drive space
Under this configuration, it is expected that the game will perform acceptably in all areas. It is expected that the user will use a moderate-to-high screen resolution and draw distance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Where can I purchase Trainz Simulator 12?
Q: What is a Collector's Edition?
A: The collector's addition ships as a limited-edition metal box copy with numerous exclusive features such as a large hardcopy manual, discounts for our First Class Ticket service, the chance to receive a Golden Ticket and more! (Details available here.) This is truly a must-have product for our Trainz fans.
Q: When will Trainz Simulator 12 be released?
A: TS12 is available now.
Q: Will Trainz Simulator 12 support SLI or cross-fire?
A: These technologies are largely driver options available for relevant video cards. Whether these technologies are beneficial to Trainz is determined by your system configuration and drivers rather than by any action on our part. We have taken no action to specifically enable or disable these technologies, however TS12 does make additional demands on the video card which may result in benefits from an SLI configuration.
Q: Will Trainz Simulator 12 support 'compatibility mode'?
A: No. In practice, this means that content with known faults cannot be used in TS12. This does not prevent older content from working in TS12 as long as that content is not faulty.
Q: Will existing DLS content work with Trainz Simulator 12?
A: Of course. We believe that over 90% of the existing Download Station content is compatible with TS12, and we are actively working with third-party developers to help resolve the known faults in the remaining content.
Q: Will Trainz Simulator 12 include all the content from previous editions?
A: Not in the box. The installer is two DVDs worth with just the TS12 content, and much of the content carried over from previous versions is starting to show its age. We do understand that everybody has their favourite route or other content from the earlier games, and to prevent disappointment we'll be uploading nearly the entire back-catalogue of included content onto the Download Station for TS12 users. The most notable exceptions here will be the TS2010-specific routes and dedicated payware packs.
Q: Can I move JA files across from TS2010?
A: It can be done, but it's a manual process and the results are not flawless due to differences in the file formats. We recommend against this unless you thoroughly understand the pros and cons. For casual users, downloading any necessary content from the Download Station is the preferred approach.
Q: Can I move my Local or Original folders across from TS2010?
A: Directly modifying the contents of these folders can lead to significant and long-lasting problems with your Trainz installation. You can, however, open Content Manager and drag the folders from TS2010 onto the main window to install the content properly. It is strongly recommended that you select to not overwrite any existing content during this process.
Fixes Since Release
The following issues have been resolved through minor updates since the original online release of the product.
- TY#531- Fix to downloading 'Out of Date' assets
- TY#629- 'Inability to insert a spline point next to another one on a parallel track.'
- TY#833- HOTT MAV Eaos load not showing after save
- TY#1080- Replace Assets loses the names
- TY#1112- Coronas - "directional" doesnt work any longer (coronas are invisible)
- TY#1109- 'Overlapping Spline Point Manipulation Problem'
- TY#1147 - 'Speed Limit Flashing - too sensitive'
- TY#1172- Multiplayer- The MP's hosting error message font is too sharp for the eyes.
- TY#1232 - 'Addon - Addon packs are not marked favourite by default'
- TY#1293 - 'Multiplayer - add progress indicator during game login process'
- TY#1426- Map Display Options: Visible in normal views (added attachment)
- TY#1431- Content Manager list view does not refresh after downloading DLS asset listings
- TY#1451 - 'MP- You cannot re-host a disconnected server.'
- TY#1452 "Sound - Doppler not working in 'tracking camera' view"
- TY#1465 - 'QuickDrive rule does not default to "Control Type" pane on Multiplayer Client'
- TY#1490 "Track not connecting to industries"
- TY#1499 - CM - Saving a search with 1 "Asset KUID" containing more than 10,000 assets causes a lockup or crash of main window;
- TY#1537- iTrainz Chat - Not telling me if other user is offline;Private Chat: I don't know when player has gone offline
- TY#1538- Route listing jumps back to Highlighted choice
- TY#1575- Unneeded asset backups
- TY#1597- Autosave Creates Faulty Session
- TY#1634- Save Session breaks achievements
- TY#1639 - 'Various (all?) sessions are not restoring driver commands after Save Session'
- TY#1693- 'Read Only files cause save errors in taddaemon that are not reported to the user'
- TY#1703- No lock icon for fixed track junctions
- TY#1711- 'Twisting of two track bridge if spline is inserted on bridge'
- TY#1712- 'Scroll bars don't appear to be showing correctly on minibrowser controls'
- TY#1716- CM: Improper time\date displayed for 'Modification Time'
- TY#1724- 'Surveyor- Inserting spline points to double tracks make them automatically change track layout.'
- TY#1765- Unable to place track side objects on certain type tracks.
- TY#1784- Surveyor- Deleting spline point near a junction of 2 single line tracks with a double line track swaps the single line tracks over.
- TY#1786- Surveyor- Undoing from TY#1784 twists the double line track
- TY#1787- Surveyor- Deleting spline point near a junction of 2 single line tracks and a 2 line track breaks the junctions.
- TY#1834- Fixed bug related to spline points in 2T tracks.
- TY#1885- Surveyor quick drive run saved session error on restarting the save from session menu
- TY#1811- CM Download Totals
- TY#1878- RazorBack Classic Modified Crashing system
- TY#1896- Interior - still lacking a button style control for a horn
- TY#1929- Backups not being purged after expiry period
- TY#1978- Midshire Mainline v3 cannot be found on DLS
- TY#2049- Trainz / Content Manager will download content of a later build
- TY#2058- Trainz/CM should not attempt to download assets with an unsupported version
- TY#2143- No 'locked layer' prompt when trying to place a world origin object with a locked route layer
- TY#2194- Sound settings do not load correctly if muted
- TY#2197- Trainz uses wrong thumbnail for assets downloaded from the DLS
- TY#2215- Springfield Industrial District - Routes menu session count appears wrong
- TY#2216- Overwrite All/Skip All do not work when importing content
- TY#2218- CM 3.6 Search by KUID
- TY#2220- Mojave Sub Division : Mojave to Bakersfield - "control method" window doesn't close when DCC or CAB mode is selected.;
- TY#2225- Driver 'save session' dialog should pause game while open
- TY#2226- Driver 'save session' dialog should present a reasonable default save name
- TY#2228- Driver- Keyboard shortcut W does not work for some steam locos.
- TY#2162- Adding '#TY2162' as a channel creates a new buddy instead of a channel
- TY#2118- Feature Request - Add support to the Download Station listings for removing/disabling an asset
- TY#2349- Added a roll-back feature for failed patches.
- Improved handling of bridges, tunnels, and multitracks.
- Fixed coupler breakage when reloading saved session.
- Fixed restoring of camera focus when reloading saved sessions.
- Fixed lighting and sound effects.
- Fixed various TrainzUtil crashes related to non-ANSI characters.
- Fixed various Content Manager crashes due to faulty asset config files.